Tuesday, July 2, 2013

On properly-lengthed arms

The 31 day challenge continues. Yesterday I posted about hands, so it seems natural to go on to the things that your hands are attached to.

I'd like to go into more detail about the arms and shoulders at a later date (particularly the shoulders because they can add some great things to a pose but so much of the time they're simply omitted), but I had less time today than I anticipated so I just drew a rough guide to making arms the right size in proportion to the body. It's REALLY rough, but it satisfies my blog quota for today. :P

I had great difficulty making arms the proper length when I started on the never-ending path of learning believable proportions, and these two rules helped. When arms are relaxed at the sides, elbows are about waist level and wrists reach to crotch level (in case you can't read my lovely digital handwriting there).

I'll try to have a more detailed post up tomorrow. I just really didn't want to skip the second day. I know the 31 blog challenge allows for 'double up days' but... man, it's only the second day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm from the 31dbc, and first I have to say kudos to you on trying to get a 2nd post in! (I missed the first day.... hopefully that's going to be the only one!)

    I also have to say I love your description at the top, especially the part about Oxford Commas.

    About the post, the best I do when it comes to drawing is draw stick figures, but now thanks to you, in the future they'll look more realistic!

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete